After Procrastinating for a good while, I eventually managed to paint the flags…
And then after third attempt on the white flag it suddenly dawned on me it was wrong again….in the words of Corporal Nobby Nobbs of the Ankh Morpork City Watch….
The squiggles should be inside the cross!
You know what… I think I may leave it the way it is.
Tomorrow I may start on the Woodland Indians.
The other thing coming up soon is the Shetland Games Day. This takes place on 6th October. Now the question is what should I run… so far I have done:
10mm Mammoth hunting.
The humans are Magister Millitum Eskimo and cave men. The adult mammoth are Pendraken, babies are Irregular miniatures 6mm Tusk mammoth and the rest of the fauna are Magister.
10mm Dinosaur hunting
The human hunters are Pendraken (WW2 Russian Snipers) the dinosaurs are Magister Millitum. Each person took a two man team and had to shoot the male triceratops to win. The other dinosaurs were there to either get in the way or to eat the players.
28mm Gladiator Games
The Figures were a mix of EM4 pre painted as well as some Westwind ones. The rules were EM4 too. The arena was scratch built for the show.
I may have to dust off my Sudan stuff and get the players to brave the hot desert wastes as they struggle to save Charlton Heston in Khartoum.
The other option is xenomorph hunting with the colonial marines… I shall have to see….
Just really the colours to go. I am still to decide on a regiment (or two).
If I have one complaint about these, it is that the sergeant’s muskets look more like a one from the turn of the 1890’s. To be honest though, the way they are standing means you can hardly see the musket unless you get down to table level.
Tomorrow I decide on the flags. As a total aside. I painted these with the GW starter brush that came with the Conquest magazine. After initially moaning about the quality I managed to get everything on these done with it.
This is what it looked like after fifteen minutes of painting yesterday.
Those English upstarts are in for a bit of a shock when these appear…. or maybe not as my opponent may read this!
These were finished a lot quicker than expected. Out of interest whenever I say finished I mean painted. I am going to sort the bases out when everything is painted. That way they will all look the same. Too many times I have finished a unit and then, when put next to the one before I realised that the flock was a different shade (being a total pillock I would base them based upon memory rather than heading out to the shed to check).
I also managed to get some more done on the HQ.
These are in the tunic rather than the soldiers coat. So mainly blue with white gaiters and a black hat. I am not looking forward to painting the colours. The problem is they are folded! I already have two colours, regimental and kings colour so these are pretty much going to be spare.
If I look at it another way…it shall be a mini challenge!
After this lot…the woodland tribes pack… lucky me…lots of War paint!
Oh and I succumbed…
I ended up getting three….I will never, ever have to buy gold paint again….
My little boy loves painting every so often so a nice cheap way to let him.
I must get some more heads and arms to make them a bit different.
I was trying to get the entrance to the shed wind and water tight. Managed it even though the double glazed window became single glazed… don’t ask.
Anyway a bit if relaxed painting calmed me down a bit 😖
I have decided to put a glaze over the red to try and blend in the colours a bit. To be honest though the look much better at about a metre.
Still a long way to go, but still keeping the momentum up. Tomorrow I hope to get the crew finished. Not to mention some more done on the howitzers and a start made on the infantry ensigns and sergeants… which I keep forgetting about… not to mention my long haired militia man (a simple conversion from hat to hair). He was my original Hawkeye.
These are not in their coats, so they are basically red uniform, black hat and white gaiters. I have seen some depictions of the gaiters being black, but as everything else in this force is white it might look a little odd.
They are sitting drying as I just shoved a dark red wash over them. Tomorrow I will paint the dragon red and then highlight with the bright red.
Hopefully they won’t take very long to do…. famous last words???
The artillery will get a dark wash, and highlighted with a lighter blue. Metal work on the carriage is black with a bronze barrel. Again…shouldn’t take that long.
I have actually fired a 12lb cannon (minus ball) I helped crew a gun when not messing about as a cavalryman. I faced said gun as a British Light infantrymen a couple of years before. It was much more fun firing the thing than watching it go boom towards you!
Evidently there were only two howitzers. I have enough for three crews of four. So I am now on the hunt for a cannon to build up the fire power. To be honest I would have preferred a larger base for the howitzers but it was the only appropriate circular base size I had.
These will have red tunic and breeches, a dark blue coat with red cuffs and turn backs. I also need to paint up the ensigns and sergeants that I forgot last time. The officers will match in with the infantry.
As a total aside… my game came!
Once I have had a good look at it, I will write a post about it.
To be honest one can hardly see the any difference apart from the base flesh tone. I also added a dark wash to some of them prior to high lighting the clothing. Powder horns have had the metalwork added.
Quite a bit to do, weapons, hair flesh wash and highlights. Still, every little helps as the saying goes!